Saturday, June 13, 2009

Inspiration!

Wow! I started out with good intentions to give a routine word workout to my everyday life...I guess I got sidetracked. Wait! I KNOW I got sidetracked. But today I bumped into some unexpected inspiration. Let me fill you in.

Early this afternoon, in the rush of a busy Saturday, I ran into a friend, Joanie, who I hadn't seen in quite a while. Our oldest sons, (Michael-mine, Brandon-hers), attended all their years of school together, were both on prom court, and graduated in the same class. Actually, they even went to preschool together as 4 years olds. Where did all those years go? Needless to say, we have had many an opportunity to chat at different activities throughout the years.

Joanie is one of my surprise inspirations. Brandon is a cancer survivor at the age of 19. It has been a long road for him and his family, and the effects of treatment will be lifelong. He is well, attending college, a contributing member of society, and well loved by his parents!

Joanie is one strong woman. She is positive, faithful, and to all appearances, happy. I never see her without a smile on her face. It is a privilege to know her and chat with her. I am constantly amazed that a woman who has been challenged time and time again just never seems to wear out. Today we compared notes on our sons. Their paths could not have been much different. But they have both had successes and challenges in their lives. Listening to Joanie talk about Brandon really made me see how she has chosen to view their battle against cancer as a blessing. I kid you not. She and her husband Len have risen to the occasion with valor. They have given their son all the tools he needs to be successful in life, no matter what crosses his path. And mostly, they have given him unconditional love. Better yet? He is aware of this blessing! I can see that Joanie has played an important role in Brandon's attitude with this illness encounter, and surely many other life tests. She has inspired me by her joy, courage, and eagerness to find the good in others. I am challenging myself to rise to her example, daily count my blessings, and frequently look for the good in those around me.

Next on my list is my daughter in law, Kayla. She resurrected her blog a few days ago, and it is amazing! I love her ability to express herself with the written word! Today she wrote a few thoughts about her recent wedding to Michael, the son I mentioned above. Her feelings about this joyful day came shining through into my life like a gift! "God's fingerprints" were all over her writing. I am happy that she is my daughter, but mostly I am happy that my son has such a wonderful, talented wife who will, God permitting, be a blessing to him for many years to come. So Kayla was a double inspiration. She passed along a spark to breathe new life into my blog. She also blessed me today with all the raw emotion in her writing, and with that I have also challenged myself to purpopsely be a blessing daily to someone.

So today is a fresh start. I think I can do this! Thank you Joanie and Kayla!

1 comment:

  1. aww toni you are so sweet! I am so excited you are writing on your blog again, I love reading yours and my moms blogs. I love seeing whats going on in your lives and back home. Keep it up! We have to remember not to get discouraged when we don't get feedback, God might be reaching out to someone through our experiences that we write about.
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete

I am pleased that you have taken the time to read my blog. It would mean the world to me if you would leave a comment! Thanks so much!

Toni

Christian

Christian

Michael and Kayla

Michael and Kayla
Learning About Love

Foot Work

Foot Work

Lucas Lee

Lucas and his mom, my sister, Rena

The Newlyweds!

The Newlyweds!

My Asian Lillies

My Asian Lillies

A Work in Progress

A Work in Progress

Pot of Pansies

Pot of Pansies

Behind the Garage

Behind the Garage

More lillies

More lillies