Friday, July 24, 2009

Letting Go...

There is nothing in this world that brings me quite as much delight as my children! Each one is a miracle to behold, a true gift from God. You might be asking yourself if I could possibly be a bit prejudice? Could be! But, then again, most of you could understand that point of view and probably have some pretty amazing kids of your own! Perhaps ALMOST as amazing as Michael, Noel,and Christian!

Christian is our thirteen year old, the youngest of the bunch. He has lived a very dangerous life in those thirteen short years. He is our accident waiting to happen. He has recently started working at a nearby farm. His duties include feeding the calves, and helping with the milking, both of which tend to be very messy and stinky. The concept of actually being paid for this very cool work is almost ecstatically overwhelming for him, and it shows daily in his enthusiasm and smile! Christian is funny, physical, and loving. He makes me laugh each and every day. I can't wait to witness the man he is becoming.

Noel is our one and only daughter. She is fifteen, and blossoming into an assertive, faithful and confident young woman. She is a singing machine, and her voice makes my breath catch! My relationship with her is full of fun, sarcasm, and static! She is, of course, beautiful. And did I mention that she has awesome hair? She is a bundle of opposites, and watching her sort through these feelings and emotions displays to me just what a strong personality she is. Today she brought me home a treat, and told me "This is just because you are my mom". Nothing could have made me happier.

Michael is 19,our oldest child. His identical twin, Thomas, died at birth. The fact that he survived our parenting is proof positive that God is alive and well! Michael is an assistant chaplain in the U.S. Army. He and his wife Kayla are expecting their first child in February. They are currently stationed at Fort Riley in Kansas, but he will soon be deployed to Iraq. Michael has a faith that teaches me about loving the Lord. He is steadfast, honest, and rebellious. Quite the combination!

So here is my point in sharing all this with you...

My children are growing more independent each day. They have lives of their own, and Bob and I have had many years of opportunity to nurture and teach them about the "things" they will need in life...strong faith, morals, and kindness. After holding on so tightly for so many years, I can feel the tension on the apron strings. Now, I must learn how to start letting go.

The whole idea of one of my children being a soldier is just starting to sink in. In concept, I love the idea of serving our country. I think it is an honorable and brave job to do. But this is not just any kid, it is OUR kid...

So here is the deal. My adult child volunteered for this job. We are proud to bursting with his choice. He is leaving the safety of the USA to attend to others who need our help. This is how we brought him up, and truly a part of his personality. Believe me when I say that there is pain in my heart that I cannot even begin to describe. I knew this day would come. I just can't believe that it is almost here. And the reality that our other two children will soon pursue dreams of their own, maybe not in Cedar Grove, WI is also becoming quite clear to me. This circle of events has been going on since the beginning of time. I knew when our family first started that these children were just here on loan to us from God. This is the way it is supposed to happen. So why is this so complicated?

Dear Lord, I know that you know my needs before I do. Please, fill this aching heart, and give me the strength to take joy in the "leaving" of my children. Give my heart the fullness it needs to let go. And remind me to lean on You even when the going isn't tough. WE are in your keeping, Lord. I know I will be safe there, as will my children according to your promise. Hold us close dear Lord. And remind me daily that our safety has nothing to do with our situation, and everything to do with your ever watchful care. Amen





Nahum 1:7
The LORD is good,
a refuge in times of trouble.
He cares for those who trust in him

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am pleased that you have taken the time to read my blog. It would mean the world to me if you would leave a comment! Thanks so much!

Toni

Christian

Christian

Michael and Kayla

Michael and Kayla
Learning About Love

Foot Work

Foot Work

Lucas Lee

Lucas and his mom, my sister, Rena

The Newlyweds!

The Newlyweds!

My Asian Lillies

My Asian Lillies

A Work in Progress

A Work in Progress

Pot of Pansies

Pot of Pansies

Behind the Garage

Behind the Garage

More lillies

More lillies